Friday, September 1, 2017

Back Where i Come From - September 1, 2017

I am joining P.S. Annie for the 2017 September challenge. If I understand things correctly each day a different question will be asked and answered. And then link back to P.S. Annie.

September 1, 2017
Were you raised in the town in which your were born? Where were you raised?

Yes, I was raised in the town where I was born. A suburb of Minneapolis named Robbinsdale.

I grew up in the house that my mom was raised in. The house was built in 1916. Actually it was 2 houses put together to make one house. One part of the house was just one story, the part 2 stories. It had big windows all around. 

Robbinsdale had/has the feel of a small town. Of course back when I was kid I was allowed to walk places alone without my  mom. I would go "uptown" on Saturdays to buy penny candy. There is a main street where all the businesses were/are located.

I lived there until I was 22 years old. I moved to North Carolina for a while then back to Robbinsdale. My mom sold the house and I moved with her into a condo in a different suburb. I went back to NC for a while.  I lived with my mom until her death in 1991. My husband anbd son lived there too.

I know I have photos of the house and possibly of "uptown". I will find them and share next time.

6 comments:

  1. I wasn't born in the town where I live but I got here as fast as I could. Lived here for 57 years and it has become my hometown. Enjoyed reading your answer, I think it's great that's you've remained in your hometown.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fifty-seven years in one place is a very long time indeed. I don 't live in my hometown now, but do go back to visit now and again.

      Delete
  2. I lived in the town where I was born until I was five. (PA). Then we moved to Florida, and I grew up there until I got married. My hubby and I have moved A LOT over the past 48 years, but we have been back in Florida for the past 20 years...just not in the same house. Trying to stay put for a while, until we need to "downsize" for our old age. Would love to see the pictures of the house you grew up in. It sounds really neat. I love old houses that have a history and character, and it sounds like your old home had that for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My house could almost be classified as a tiny house. Less than 800 sq ft. But, I am downsizing in that I am trying to get rid of things so my son won't have to go through it all.

      Delete
  3. This is a great post, Trudy. Thank you for joining our challenge. I would love to see the pictures of the house you grew up in, too. How wonderful that you have the pictures.

    Have a blessed weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is going to be a stretch for me. Posting something everyday, but at least I know the topic.

      Delete