Wednesday, August 16, 2017

A dog days of summer Hodgepodge

From this Side of the Pond


1. Do your actions match your words? Elaborate.
Sometimes my actions match my words, but rarely. I pretend a lot. I pretend that everything is good, That I am not overwhelmed. That I am not exhausted. That I can handle it all. When in actuality I don't think I can do what I am doing for too much longer before I collapse.  Shhh, I have never told anyone that.  

2. Sick as a dog, go to the dogs, dog days of summer, dog tired, it's a dog's life, every dog has it's day, can't teach an old dog new tricks...now doggone it which saying could most recently be applied to your life?
Dog tired sums my life up very neatly. I am getting ready for Harry's daughter and her annual visit. Cleaning the house from top to bottom. And then doing it again in case I missed something. Having many, many lists to work from.
However, dog days of summer are nice too. I am not fond of what happens to the lakes in the area, but I do like that it signals the almost end of the heat.
3. Your favorite book featuring a dog in the storyline? What makes it a favorite?
This is a tough one. So many to choose from. I remember reading "White Fang", thinking it would be my all time favorite book. Flash forward many, many years to "Marley and Me". Oh how I loved the movie. So much so I HAD to read the book. It is wonderfully touching. Hilariously funny. Sad. Loving. And then, there is "Because of Winn-Dixie". The dog is heroic in my mind. Just because of the simple reason he is alive. 

4. What's something you hope to one day have the confidence to do?
I don't know if I need confidence to do this or courage. I would like to be able to learn to swim. It is such good exercise. But, I can't get into the pool. I can't take baths, because I get nervous when the water covers me. I get nervous if the shower drains to slowly. I have almost drowned twice in my life, and those experiences have left me with a phobia. Not drowned to the point of needing CPR or anything, but close enough that I needed rescuing.

5. August 16th is National Tell a Joke Day. So tell us a joke.
There was a man from Nantucket...oh wait I better make it a clean one.
I have 2 favorite jokes. 
This first one is much better told in person, but I will explain it to you.
Very quietly, I ask the question, "How do you sell a deaf man a duck?"
The person replies, "I don't know. How do you sell a deaf man a duck?"
Very loudly I shout, "Do you wanna buy a duck?"
It cracks me up every time. I am laughing now.
The other joke is:
Where in the Bible is baseball mentioned?
Answer: Genesis 1 In the BEGINNING  God created the heavens and the earth.

6. Insert your own random thought here.

This is a photo from the bridge going over the Kettle River. I wish it were brighter, but the day was gray and cloudy.


17 comments:

  1. May God give you the strength you need to keep doing what you do. ((hugs))

    I forgot about the book White Fang. That was a good one, too!

    I hope the visit goes well with Harry's daughter. Don't wear yourself out cleaning. She'll never know.

    Kathy (Reflections)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathy! A much needed pep talk. She won't know. I will do the best I can and leave it at that.

      Delete
  2. I so relate to #1. Sometimes it is all just so overwhelming. Thankfully, God's strength is made perfect in our weakness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love this. Thank you Mrs. T. God's strength is made perfect in my weakness.My new motto.

      Delete
  3. Hi,
    I have Because of Winn Dixie too. ;-) I like your random photo.
    Oh my about your almost drowning. Sending a hug, I am sure writing about it makes you shiver.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I think about those times in the water I feel almost like I am reliving it. I can't wash my hair in the shower, because if water gets in my face I do panic. Thanks for the hug. I needed one.

      Delete
  4. I am sorry you are feeling overwhelmed. Hopefully you will be able to get some rest after company leaves. I agree with Kathy, that Harry's daughter will never know, and the visit is what counts. If it's not, then shame on Harry's daughter! It must be traumatic whenever you think about your water experiences. I had one very close call, but I was only two years old and my older brother rescued me. Praying for you today, Trudy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the prayers. A person can never have too many. Her visit will be OK once she is here. I feel the anxiety right up until that time. I am good at ignoring when I am faced with in person with something.

      Delete
  5. BTW, Trudy, you mentioned the watermark. I don't usually use it anymore, since I realized that people can still pull my photos from the internet even when I watermark them. It was discouraging to learn, but that's why I always resize my photos down to 1000 x 800 or something before posting them. It's less likely that anyone would steal a photo that wouldn't do them any good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I did not about the watermark. Learning how to resize a photo is much easier than learning how to watermark.

      Delete
  6. Hi: Visiting from the Hodgepodge. Thanks for visiting me.

    There have been so many books about dogs listed that I haven't read. I don't know how I missed those classics growing up. I may have to read White Fang.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome.
      White Fang was required reading when I was in school. Maybe high school?

      Delete
  7. Trudy, I can only imagine how I'd feel about being in water after almost drowning twice. I'm glad you were spared. Why do you need to swim or take a bath? I'd just leave that behind and take vacations where water isn't the central feature. There are lots of exercise that are good that don't involve water. But the main thing is that you trust God with your anxiety. Where is your Kettle river? We have family in Colville just south of Kettle Falls in Washington State. God bless you as you face your anxieties.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ellen, Living in a land locked state as I do vacationing away from water is easy. Strange, but true I hate being in the water, but love, love, love, being ON it in a boat. My Kettle River is in East Central Minnesota. I am not sure where it starts or ends, but Going into to town I can cross it in 2 different places.

      Delete
  8. Fear of the water is a common thing especially for one who has almost drowned twice. If you can avoid the water, that might be best. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi David! I do avoid being in the water. This is probably why I don't like fishing from the shore. Too large of a chance of falling in. However, I love to fish IN a boat. Wish a life jacket on of course. Thanks for stopping by. God bless.

      Delete
  9. I'm sorry that you're so tired. I don't think I'm too far from collapsing either. May Heavenly Father bring you the rest and zip that you need to do the things that you need to do. I hope the visit with Harry's daughter goes well.

    I am not a fan of swimming or water, either. I almost drowned in my aunt's pool when I was a young teenager. My mama isn't a strong swimmer either, so my younger cousin rescued me. For years, I've been terrified of drowning and bridges over water, etc. Thankfully, Heavenly Father healed me of the fear of bridges, but I am still very wary of water. What worked for me was claiming the verse 2 Timothy 1:7 "For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind."
    That verse was given to me one weekend when something very upsetting happened. I prayed it non-stop, I claimed it, I believed it, and knew that He would help me and He did. Maybe it will help you, too.

    Have a blessed weekend.:)

    ReplyDelete