Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Hodgepodge 11/23/2016

'Twas The Hodgepodge Before Thanksgiving...




1. What's something you might say runs in your family? 
Sarcasm is what runs in my family. We are very good at it. No matter the topic we can find a way to put a sarcastic spin on it. Of course, it is all done  with  love and respect. My mom was a pro. I learned at the foot of a master in sarcasm. I in turn have passed it onto my son. It leads to some interesting moments.

2. I read here a list of ten things you should do before 2017 arrives (in less than six weeks!)...which tasks on the list might you do? What would you add to your own 'before the year ends' list? 

visit your Dr. or dentist, deep clean your home, donate unwanted items to charity, look someone in the eye and tell them you love them, write an honest letter to yourself, clean up your inbox-desktop-photos, travel somewhere you've never been, compliment a stranger, watch the sunrise, think ahead to your goals/plans for the new year

I have 2 large bags ready to be taken to the thrift shop, and another 2 with winter jackets  and pairs of shoes to give to a halfway house for women. It must be taken care of way before 2017. I will compliment a stranger. I love the look on their face when a compliment comes to them so unexpectedly. My bedroom faces East, and I get to  watch the sunrise most mornings.

3. What's something other generations (not your own) misunderstand about your generation? 

We had a cause. We knew how to have our opinions heard without violence and bloodshed. We didn't stop traffic on the freeway to protest. I  remember going to the state capitol in St.Paul to protest the draft and the war in Viet Nam. We were loud. We were boisterous. BUT, we were civil and peaceful.

4. Sweet potato casserole, mashed potatoes and gravy, cornbread dressing-which would you miss the most if it weren't on the holiday dinner menu?

Hands down mashed potatoes and gravy. No contest. 

5. What are you overthinking right now? 
LIFE! I tell everyone to not worry, to take it easy,  to let things happen as they may. However, I rarely follow my own advice.

6. Your favorite slang word lately? 
I don't know if it is slang or not, but I have been trying to use the word cr**  less often. So instead I say crumb. 

7. Write an acrostic for the word grateful.

Grace to not trip and fall down while standing still. I can do that.
Rest when tired.
Attitude. Adopt a positive one. It makes life easier.
Telephone people not spoken to in a while. Brighten their day and yours.
Elegance. Decorate for Christmas with elegance and cheer.
Frivolous. It is sometimes  fun to be frivolous.
Us. Us as in family, friend, and loved ones. Weird saying. Because loved ones would be family and friends. What is left? Other loved ones? Wouldn't they too be family or friends?
Love life.

8. Insert your own random thought here.
We had Thanksgiving on Sunday. My son works on Thursday, but has off Sunday. It took me a lot of years to accept that it really doesn't matter which day the holiday is celebrated as long as you are all together. We had a lovely time. We ate too much. Laughed til our faces hurt.

Our centerpiece. A little lopsided. 





Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

3 comments:

  1. You are right, it doesn't matter which day you celebrate. It is nice though to have that option and not have it taken away because retail is chasing the buck. Soon, they will learn that they killed the goose that laid the golden egg.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a nice acrostic. I like it.
    Glad you and your family had a nice early Thanksgiving celebration.
    Happy Thanksgiving...again :)
    Kathy (Reflections)

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are some folks in this gang that are sarcasm masters. My mother had her moments, too. :)

    I like watching the smile come across the stranger's face when you compliment them on something. There was a girl in the Walmart earlier with a cute hat on. It looked like fox ears to me. I couldn't tell without staring if it was crocheted or knitted, but those little ears were adorable. I told her that her hat was really cute and it made her smile as she said, "Thank you." Her hat made me smile, so I couldn't just keep it to myself. :)

    Your answer to #5 reminds me very much of David's, "Relax and let it happen." I'm not good at that at all.

    Your centerpiece is pretty. I am glad that you got to have Thanksgiving with your son. Whatever day that happens is a day to be thankful for. Our youngest son is in Japan. He is a Marine. It has been over a year and a half since we have seen him and it could be as much as 6 months more before we see him again. It has been almost 10 years since we've seen our sailor son. He's under the sea somewhere in a submarine. We have our two daughters here and we are thankful for that.

    Have a blessed night and a very Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete