Tuesday, September 26, 2017



What is your hometown known for? In other words, what makes it special?
I think Robbinsdale is known for it's small town quality while being right next door to a large city. There is a business on the "main street" that has been there since I was a kid. A fresh meat butcher shop. It is family run with generations of the same family running it. On a corner there is still a bakery from my childhood. That bakery has changed hands over the years, but it has always been a bakery. The hardware store of my childhood is still there, but under a different franchise. Things don't change too very much, and that is a good thing.



 Does your hometown experience all four seasons? If not, which ones does it skip over?
Oh my yes. In Minnesota you better believe there are 4 seasons. 
Spring is my favorite. Everything is new and fresh. The birds come back to nest for the next few months. The trees begin greening up. The ice is out of the lakes to allow us to see the beautiful water.
Winter can be harsh here. I remember as a kid not knowing that the winter was bad or difficult. Why would I ? All I cared about is if the snow was sticky enough to build a snowman or snowballs. Or to go sledding. Or to build a snow fort. I would stay outside til my fingers and toes were numb from the cold. I would go into the house to warm up, put on dry mittens and socks and head back out.
Today? Winter and I don't get along. The first year out of the city on October 31 we had the blizzard of the century. The snow started about 1 PM, and by the time it stopped we had 37 inches of snow! The next day we were physically on our roof shoveling it off. Our neighbor always plowed for us, but it took him 2 days just to get from his house to ours 1/4 miles away. It was quite the deal.
I like all 4 seasons, and would miss then if I lived somewhere that didn't have them. However, there are parts of each one that don't thrill me at all.




4 comments:

  1. I enjoyed hearing about your hometown Trudy!
    I have never gotten to Minnesota but maybe someday. I hope so anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like Minnesota. But if you are going to visit come late spring or early summer. The most perfect time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We'd be happy to trade our summer for your winter for a year. Maybe that way we could see a little of what the other extreme is like. I do not like hot. Winter is my favorite season. I breathe better when it is cold. 100+ temps make that very hard for me.

    I think it is wonderful that the businesses you grew up with are still there, maybe not the same folks (the baker), but still the same business.

    Thanks for participating in the challenge. I enjoy reading your responses. Have a blessed evening. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't like the cold or the heat. You haven't experienced cold until you have experienced -30 temperature, and frozen pipes.

    ReplyDelete