Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Hodgepodge September 27, 2017

Joining the Hodge Podge this week. Great fun for all!

From this Side of the Pond


1. What pets did you have while growing up? Tell us a little something about them.
There were always pets. We had those little tiny turtles that could be purchased from Woolworth's. They always managed to get out of their bowl. Somehow. We had cats and dogs and gerbils and hamsters. Mostly cats and dogs though. I brought them home. My brother brought them home. Even my mom brought then home. We always joked that it was a good thing we didn't live in the country or we would be bringing home chickens, cows, and horses.

Me and Ginger. She liked to have her kittens on my mom's bed.


 Me and Teddy.  Teddy would jump up onto the piano bench, and press on the keys. His treats were on top of the piano.


2. What is one thing you absolutely must accomplish today?
I MUST wash a load of towels. How can a household of 2 people run out of clean towels? I have tons of towels. However, it seems that they are all dirty. I used a face cloth to dry my hands this morning.
3. Where were you ten years ago? What were you doing there?
I was probably right where I am today. Wondering how in the world 2 people have run out of clean towels. Not much changes here.
4. September 26th is National Dumpling Day. Did you celebrate? Apple dumpling, xiao long bao (steamed Chinese dumpling), chicken and dumplings, pirogi, matzoh balls, or gnocchi...which dumpling on this list would be your dumpling of choice? Have you ever made homemade dumplings of any kind?
If apple dumplings are baked I would enjoy making them. If they are fried I wouldn't even try. I don't fry things because of the mess frying creates. Occasionally in the winter for lunch I will make some matzo ball soup. It fills our tummies and tastes oh so good. Every once in a while I do make chicken and dumplings.  I have a new recipe that takes almost all the work out of the dumplings. I make it more often now.
5. 'There are two kinds of adventurers: those who go truly hoping to find an adventure and those who go secretly hoping they don't.' William Trogdon
So which kind are you?
I am hoping for adventure. Even a trip to the corner gas station could provide me with an adventure. Seeing people, talking to people, learning something new. All adventures. Especially new places can give adventure. Oh, and being lost somewhere isn't so bad if you think of it as a grand adventure.
6. Insert your own random thought here.
The rain goes on and on and on. For days now. I should say nights. It rains at night and leaves the gloom behind for the daytime. I need some sun! I have things outside that need attending to, but it is just too wet to even try. 

Mr. Toad is contemplating the world conditions. Everything. Crazy people in charge of countries, why there is so much rain here, why we ALL need health insurance, why it is OK to quietly protest, while a crazy man can't keep his mouth shut and his nose out of what isn't his business. Why doesn't he just do what he said he was going to do?  

Ok, so Toad decided on a couple of things. Crazy men in charge of countries because too many people have gone away from God. This is the result. Too much rain? For whatever reason God says we need it. Health insurance? Because we all get sick once in a while. Sometimes seriously so.  A loud mouth opinionated person not doing his job? Because he is a fake.

Have a good week everyone! 

13 comments:

  1. If only some of your rain could come this way! It hasn't rained here in a while...

    What adorable photos of you and your childhood pets!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always wished I'd had one of those little turtles when I was a kid!
    I hope you get those towels washed today! Laundry, is a never-ending job, even for two people.
    Interesting random thoughts, today. I hope the rain lets up, soon. I'm sitting on pins and needles concerning next year's healthcare. Every year it costs more, and pays less.
    Have a great day,
    Kathy (Reflections)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kathy,
      I sure hope you health insurance is OK now that haven't repealed Obamacare.

      Delete
  3. I'm doing laundry today, too. Loved reading your childhood memories.
    Thank you for stopping by my site. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. a few towels here too! It must be catching.
    I really enjoy posts like these getting to know people :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like these posts to get to know other people too.

      Delete
  5. PS..Trudy, I am so glad I am not the only other person to resort to a wash cloth to dry hands on!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have a deep fryer and, like good Southerners, we fry just about everything. We don't have as big of a mess as we used to have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have had turkey made in the big outside fryers. I do like that.

      Delete
  7. Our deep fryer keeps the mess pretty well contained, but we don't really fry just about everything, regardless of what David says. haha

    I hope you'll get some sunshine very soon. I remember the summer it rained for 4 months straight here, no relief, not a peep of sun all that summer. It was very depressing and also hard on the business. It made a mess for the farmers, too.

    I've never made homemade chicken and dumplings. I think it would be a nice thing to try at some point.

    Have a blessed day, Trudy. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to send you the easiest and cheapest ever recipe for chix and dumplings.

      Delete