Monday, September 4, 2017

Back Where I Come From - Day 4


  1. What were your hobbies as you were growing up?
It depends on what age we are talking about.  As a girl aged 6 - 10, I played with dolls. I had baby dolls, a doll that came with her own beauty chair and hair dryer. My all time favorite doll was called Thumbalina. She was made by Ideal Toys. She had a knob on her back that when turned she would move her legs and head. I also had all the Barbie dolls. Barbie, Ken, Midge, Skipper. At the time I was the only girl niece and granddaughter.

The house of my childhood was on one lot and we owned the lot right next to it. We had a huge yard. It became the place to play kick ball. I know we had teams, but I don't remember us ever keeping score. I think we played until  most of the kids were called home for something. 

Once the alley was paved (cemented) we would play 4-square. On the sidewalk in front of my house there was always a hopscotch diagram written in chalk. 

On days when we couldn't be outside and in the evening I read. Everything. If I didn't have a book in front of me my mom knew something was wrong. I read the yellow covered Nancy Drew books. My mom made me read most of the American classics,too.

When I got a bit older I would draw a woman's face on paper. I would color in her make-up and her hair style. I could spend hours doing that. Sometimes she was quite glamorous, other times she looked experimental. I remember I wished there was a job doing make-up. Little did I know that there was! 

Up to this point is was a fairly uneventful childhood.



Speaking of Thumbalina...I am looking to buy one. She is no longer made. The few I have have seen for sale are on Ebay, and prohibitively expensive. If any one come across one for a reasonable price please let me know.


4 comments:

  1. I think these were great hobbies. I have never really been any good at drawing, though I'd dearly love to be. Being a makeup artist is a big thing, especially in the theatre. Our daughters both can do stage makeup and, for our youngest daughter, the creepier the better.

    Maybe you could get involved with that side of community theatre and let those little girl dreams come back to life. :)

    Thanks for participating in the challenge. Have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never even gave stage make-up a thought! I did do some for speech class while I was in college. Great idea I need to look into.

      Delete
  2. Hi, Trudy! I'm visiting from Suzanne's September Challenge, Back Where I Came From. I've enjoyed reading some of your posts, and I really like your background photo of the quilt! ... I had lots of Barbie dolls, too, back in the day. I'd make my own little clothes for them sometimes. It's interesting to see you made make-up drawings! I did the same except for fashions. Well, I would like to read more, and follow, but I don't know how on Blogger, as I am on Word Press. Hope to hear from you from time to time, though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by to read my posts. If you have a Google account you have a blogger account. All of Google is tied together.

    ReplyDelete