Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Hodgpodge #307 Wednesday

From this Side of the Pond


1. May 17th is National Pack Rat Day. Sidebar-should we be celebrating this? Hmmm...
As someone who lives with a pack rat/hoarder I don't think this day should be celebrated. However, if it is to be a day let us use it to bring attention to the problem of hoarding. It is a very real, very serious psychological problem. I am not, but my husband is. To get him to part with anything is akin to the parting of the Red Sea. You need bent rusted nails? No problem he has buckets full. Broken pipes (tobacco type), used up batteries, socks with holes in them, the little plastic things that might hang bags of socks. You get the idea.  It's never ending. And, don't even get me started on the garage. We have a 20 X 40 foot garage and I park outside,because there isn't any room in it for my car. I believe his hoarding stems from his mother...the devil incarnate. When he was a boy she should throw his toys away as form of punishment. That is after the beating he also received.
Are you a pack rat? Even if you're not a full fledged pack rat, most people have one thing or another they struggle to part with. Tell us what's yours.
I have a problem with clothes, shoes, and purses. I mean really how many pink shirts does one woman need? Yes, they are different styles and shades, but 17 is too many. Black purses...6. Yellow purses...3. I have 36 pairs of shoes, but only 2 feet. Plus, I hardly ever go anywhere. The list goes on. I have multiples of everything. Right now I am filling 30 gallon bags full of the too much stuff. I have the pink shirts down to 6. Everything is going to go to 2 thrift stores.

2. What are two things you know you should know how to do, but you don't?
I cannot drive a stick shift. There I said it. I have tried many times. I have had patient instructors and some that were not so patient.  I am dangerous driving a stick shift. Even in an empty parking lot. My brain can't/won't handle clutching, shifting, and steering. I think if I were in England I would have better luck. I am left-handed so shifting with my left hand just might be the answer. Seems like a good reason to plan a trip to England to prove my theory. What do you think?
The other thing I can't do is make a good turkey. I should be able to. I went to chef's school for cripes sake! My turkey is never completely done. Even after hours and hours in the oven it is still pink at the bone. It is always a pale shade of tan and kind of sickly looking. It is never crispy or golden brown. Now I make a turkey breast. Skinless and boneless.
3. Do you crave sugar? Do you add sugar to your coffee and/or tea? Do you use artificial sweeteners or sugar substitutes? When dining out is dessert a given? Are you someone who has slain the sugar dragon, and if so tell us how you did it.
I do crave sugar. Maybe not so much crave as need it intravenously put into my body. Preferably chocolate of any kind. I use artificial sweetener in my tea hot or cold. I am not Southern, but I sure do love sweet tea. For that I use the real deal.  If I am out to dinner somewhere I know the desserts are wonderful I usually take something home for the next day.

4. What's a trend it took a while for you to come round to, but now you can't imagine living without?
Cell phones. I didn't know what could be so important that you couldn't wait til you got home to talk on the phone. I became a believer  in 2002. My son and I were on our back from Fargo, ND where we had been for his freshman orientation at NDSU. We were on a lonely stretch of Highway 10 when his car broke down. Doing 70 down the interstate and then nothing. Zero. Nada. Zip. He managed to get us to the shoulder, and there we sat. For almost 2 hours. Before highway patrol pulled up. He had a cell phone! He phoned a garage tow truck for us. He let me phone my aunt to let her know what had happened and could they please come pick us up. When we finally got home I had my first cell phone in just a number of days.

5. What's a song that reminds you of a specific incident in your life? Please elaborate.
There are many! I grew up when the best music was being played. However, this is the first one that came to mind. I was a senior in high school, and there was going to be a parade for something (I don't recall now for what...44 years is a long time). Myself, my boyfriend at the time, and my best friend were in his "souped"up GTO grumbling about the weather.  He had spent hours waxing the car the evening before. He was going to drive it in the parade. It had been raining off and on all day long. We were on our way to the staging area of the parade to get our place in line. When on the radio (which was turned up very loud) came the Beatles song, "Here Comes the Sun". The clouds parted, and yes the sun did come out! 

6. Insert your own random thought here.
Mother's Day is usually very low key. This year was no different. However, for the first time in our 27 years of marriage my husband had sent to me via email an e-card for Amazon.  He never acknowledged Mother's Day because in his words, "Why should I? You're not my mom." To say I was touched beyond belief and surprised is just not strong enough to tell how I felt. 
And of course I have a photo (or 2) to share.
 Our Spring birds are here.

Have a happy week everyone.



2 comments:

  1. I can sympathize with you, somewhat, about your husband's hoarding. It may be a "man thing". Ha! Ed has all kinds of "odds n ends" and hates to get rid of anything! He has 5 used 9 volt batteries on his dresser, at the moment! We have jars filled with old nails and screws, too...
    I can also sympathize with you on learning to drive the stick shift, as I'm left handed, too. I can do it, but not well enough to get on the highway...
    I loved your song story :)
    Kathy (Reflections)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband is not a hoarder but he's pretty darn close. I make him take it all up to his property in McClellanville and he has to live out in the playroom (it's a finished garage but it was a great family room when the girls were growing up) and it's a wreck out there. He has to stay until he cleans up his act. I can't take it. I even told him I would not be able to attend his funeral because I'd be too busy throwing everything out. Ha! I crave sugar almost like you. It's crazy and I cannot for the life of me kick the habit. I've had it since childhood.

    ReplyDelete