Wednesday, October 25, 2017

Hodgepodge 326

With snow predicted for Minnesota this week I predict the end of fall. Parts of NW Minnesota are under a Blizzard Watch. So far, where I am at the forecast is  a rain and snow mix. With this in mind I am joining in on the fun with Joyce and the Wednesday Hodgepodge.

From this Side of the Pond
1. What's surprised you most about your life or life in general? 
A couple of things that my mom always said...that losing weight after 30 is difficult, after 50 almost impossible, and after 60 well why bother? She also always told me not to rely on anyone else for my happiness, and to find it wherever I could. In the small everyday things. To look for it in unusual places. But, to always find it for ME.
2.  Sweet potato fries, sweet potato casserole, a baked sweet potato, a bowl of butternut squash soup, a caramel apple or a slice of pumpkin pie...you have to order one thing on this list right now. Which one do you go for?
I love a baked sweet potato with butter, and salt & pepper. If the soup is made correctly it is heavenly. And pumpkin pie, oh my? May I have the 3 I listed? No? Well then, I would go for the baked sweet potato. It is a healthier choice of the 3 I like and will fill the sweet need of the pumpkin pie.
3. What's a famous book set in your home state? Have you read it? On a scale of 1-5 (5 is fantastic) how many stars does it rate?
There are several books from my state. However, my favorites are from William Kent Krueger. He writers a series of books.  Cork O'Connor is the main character. He is/was the sheriff of a small town in northern Minnesota. So far there are 16 books in the series. They are mysteries, but not so full of the grizzly details that many authors seem to think we need or want. 
He has written a couple of other books unrelated to Cork O'Connor. "Ordinary Grace" is a stand alone book that came out a couple of years ago. It is wonderful.
 He writes about Minnesota as if he were born here, and new it inside and out. He is not originally from here, but his first visit here with his wife convinced them this is where they wanted to live.  
Two years ago he came for an evening in support of the local library. He spoke for about 2 1/2 hours and then answered questions. He was amusing. Entertaining. Real.
If you should decide to pick up a Cork book I highly recommend you start with the first book "Iron Lake", and read them in order after that. They follow a timeline.
Here is a link to all of his books in order:
https://www.bookseriesinorder.com/william-kent-krueger/

And one to his web site:
http://www.williamkentkrueger.com/

I guess you can tell that I give these books a great big 5.
4. There are 60 days until Christmas...have you started your shopping? How do you stay organized for the holidays?
I started my shopping back in June. I start early buying small fun things for everyone. As we get closer to Christmas (September) I focus on the main gift. After I am finished with that I fill in with more fun things. I don't have many to buy for and shopping is much easier for me than for some. I buy for 5 people. I like to start early, because it is easier to spread out the money a little at a time. I only use cash. The last few years I have installed the English tradition of poppers. They are great fun, and lead to very silly photos. For those of you who might not know what a popper is I will  try and explain...A popper is pretty paper rolled in a tube shape and about the size of a TP roll. Inside is a  prize, a hat, a joke or riddle, and a piece of candy. The object is almost like breaking of a wish bone. Two people pull on either end and whoever get the largest half wins the prizes. Inside the middle of the popper is a small thing that when broken (by the pulling) makes a popping noise. Because I want us all to have the fun I get a popper for each of us. I haven't purchased ours for this year yet, but they are on the list.
To stay organized I start making my Christmas to do lists early ...like June. They change of course along the way as my mind changes as to what we will have or do or eat. I do not decorate early. Nothing goes up until the week before Christmas. That week is a flurry of activity for me. But, I love it all!
5. October 26th is National Tennessee Day. Have you ever lived or spent any time in Tennessee? Is this a state you'd like to visit one day? The top rated tourist attractions in Tennessee are-
I would like to visit Tennessee one day.
The Great Smoky Mountain National Park (Gatlinburg area), Elvis's Graceland (Memphis), Birth of the Music Biz (Memphis and Nashville), Dollywood (Pigeon Forge), Tennessee's Military Heritage (many battlefields), The Hermitage (Andrew Jackson's home), The Parthenon (Nashville), Oak Ridge American Museum of Science and Energy, Chattagnooa and the Tennessee Valley Railroad, Downtown Knoxville, Lookout Mountain, The Titanic Museum (Pigeon Forge), The Museum of Appalachia (Clinton), and The Lost Sea Adventure (Sweetwater)

How many on this list have you seen? Which one on the list would you most like to see?
I haven't seen any on the list.  However, if the opportunity arose where I could see something I would choose The Great Smokey Mountain National Park. I can only imagine how beautiful it is. I would also like to visit The Museum of Appalachia.
6.  Insert your own random thought here.

The St. Croix River. My favorite local water.
 This what I saw when the leaves came down.
 Fall decorating. Please meet Anna, Franz, Crow and Victor the dog.

3 comments:

  1. I really liked reading about your mom's advice. I can relate. :)
    We, too, have started the popper tradition at our house the past 3 years now. So much fun. Hope you have a good Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those poppers sound like a whole lot of fun. :)

    It sounds to me like your mama was one smart cookie!

    Is that a wasp nest in that tree? Scary! One day while I was trimming/pruning the trees, I didn't see wasp nest, but they let me know they were there once I cut the branch. They sure pack a wallop! It felt like a big guy had punched me in the back.

    I hope that you'll get to go to The Great Smoky Mountain National Park some day. It is absolutely beautiful. :)

    Have a blessed week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful to get to meet the author. I am sure that was fun. Have a blessed week.

    ReplyDelete